Monday, March 05, 2012

"If it quacks like a fish" -- Simcha Jacobovici answers his critics

Simcha Jacobovici, who has recently been appointed professor of religious studies at Huntington University, has answered critics of The Jesus Discovery in a couple of venues, on James Tabor's blog and now in comments on the ASOR blog.

My favourite line in Prof. Jacobovici's comments on the ASOR blog is the following:
At the end of the day, I think there is a principle in British common law that serves us well i.e., if it quacks like a fish, and flaps like a fish, and waddles like a fish – it’s a fish!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I PROMISE you I posted the concluding line of my article:
(http://robertcargill.com/2012/03/05/if-the-evidence-doesnt-fit-photoshop-it/)

BEFORE I read Simcha's response.
Honest!

"Because if it doesn’t look like a fish, and doesn’t swim like a fish, it may very well be an ancient vessel cleverly Photoshopped to look like a fish."

Mark Goodacre said...

Now, that's what I call synergy!

Unknown said...

I knew we had similar senses of humor ;-)

geoffhudson.blogspot.com said...

Ah! So did Simcha read your comment before he wrote his?

DDodson said...

Does Jacobovici understand how incredibly ironic (undermining) his statement is?! Fish don't quack, flap, or waddle; it's not a fish!

steph said...

"serves us well"... What a relief! He's admitting it's a hoax and we can all stop wasting time. Or did he really miss the irony? Naaa he can't be that thick.