Monday, October 04, 2004

Early Christianity Glossary

N. S. Gill's Ancient / Classical History announces:

Early Christianity Glossary

It's clearly still in development, but could be another useful glossary in the long term (cf. Deinde's stronger one, and my recent blog comments on other on-line glossaries). I'd have liked to have seen some comment on the use of "A.D." and "B.C." here, at least some acknowledgement that they are not now used by many scholars. But this makes me wonder something out loud. Is there anyone apart from Biblical scholars / theologians using BCE / CE? It's been out there a long time now. Is it ever going to catch on more broadly?

Update (23.18): N. S. Gill emails to note that she has now added sentences on "B.C.E." and "C.E."

1 comment:

Peter Kirby said...

I made a comment on my ChristianOrigins.com blog. I do recall seeing CE/BCE in secular history, and I named a couple textbooks at hand. But it does seem to be prevalent among scholars of religion.