Tuesday, April 13, 2004

SBL Forum

On Paleojudaica Jim Davila kindly mentions my piece on The Pleasures and Perils of Talking to the Media. I don't think I have ever read it myself (since submitting it, that is!) and have just done so. I see a split infinitive in this line: "Their working assumption is that you are likely to get treated badly and to either have your views ignored, misunderstood, or distorted." I was surprised because I feel like I am always correcting split infinitives in students' work. This looked shoddy on my part. But I looked at my own version and it is not there. What I wrote was ". . . and to have your views either ignored, misunderstood or distorted". There's another problem with that -- some would say that you should not have the structure "either . . . . , . . . . or . . . . " -- but I am relieved to see that I do not inadvertently do something I am always moaning to others about! Note to self: remember to read material you submit to web sites when it appears. Suggestion to SBL Forum: allow an author to read a "proof".

Update (17.12): SBL have already made the change. Thanks; very speedy work!

No comments: